Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Netflix Spiritual Enrichment

One year for Lent I gave up coffee and I thought I would die. Strong hot black coffee fuels my body and stimulates my brain as I zoom off into the day. I fondly remember that particular Easter Sunday as one of the happiest days of my life when once more coffee nourished my general outlook on life. So, no, I did not give up coffee for Lent this year. 

After searching my brain for possible sacrifices where not much whining is involved I decided not to watch my favorite shows on Netflix but instead to use Netflix as a source of spiritual enrichment.


In the Netflix Faith and Spirituality genre there are several great movies! First I watched Esther, then read the Book of Esther in the Bible. Next I watched the 1960 movie, The Story of Ruth, then read the Book of Ruth in the Bible. I watched The Book of Daniel, then read that in the Bible.

At that point I happened upon a thrift store in the Florida wilderness just north of Okeechobee City where for $3 I bought an old Catholic Bible in perfect condition - the 1961 Challoner-Rheims St Joseph readable English Bible. 

I suspected that meant God wanted me to read the entire Bible and so here it was. I'm on page 129 currently pouring over the rules and regulations in Leviticus and thinking the next Netflix movie will have to be the 2013 miniseries, The Bible.

A few nights ago I watched Apostle Peter and the Last Supper where the Jesus actor left me unimpressed but the interaction between the pagan jailer Martinius and his Christian wife was beautiful.

This is the most enjoyable Lent I've ever had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment